Friday, August 14, 2009

Acts 17

I started this "Modern Day Paul" thread the other day and it seems like I may live in that for a while. I was reading Acts 17 this morning (from a Gideons in my hotel room). I prefer the NIV, so I've gone to http://www.biblegateway.com/ for this translation of verses 22 & 23.

Acts 17:22-23 (New International Version)
22Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

Now, compare that to the KJV that I originally read this morning:

Acts 17:22-23 (King James Version)
22Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

Now, we can't compare versions without including the Message:

Acts 17:22-23 (The Message)
22-23So Paul took his stand in the open space at the Areopagus and laid it out for them. "It is plain to see that you Athenians take your religion seriously. When I arrived here the other day, I was fascinated with all the shrines I came across. And then I found one inscribed, to the god nobody knows. I'm here to introduce you to this God so you can worship intelligently, know who you're dealing with.

In this case, I think that the KJV nailed it. No mincing of words. "ye are too superstitious." and "therefore ye ignorantly worship...." What would Paul see today? Would he witness folks that are still too superstitious? People who put their faith in the wrong things and who are afraid or things that have no real power over them? Would he be faced with people who "ignorantly worship"? I am afraid that the answer is probably yes to both questions.

Who will tell them the Truth? Who will be their "Paul?"

No comments: